– 6 tomatoes, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, peeled
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 1/4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
– 8 slices Italian bread, cut about 1 inch thick
– 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
1.Whisk together chopped garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and basil.
2. When combined slowly drizzle in oil.
3. Add tomatoes and let sit for 20 minutes at room temp.
4. Meanwhile back at the bat cave, toast the bread.
5. This can be done either in the toaster (if it’s got really wide slots) or under the broiler (if using this method watch closely so it doesn’t become a brickette).
6. When the bread is toasted rub each piece, on one side, with the whole garlic pieces.
7. Place the bread on a cookie sheet and top with tomato mixture.
8. Sprinkle on a little cheese and broil till the cheese melts (you can skip that last broiling bit and it’s equally as wonderful).
9. Serve immediately.
10. The tomato mixture also makes a wonderful vinegrette for an antipasto salad.